My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://travis.reachpolska.info
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, November 29, 2003

Controlling temptation…

This should be an oxymoron, you can’t control temptation, it controls you. But you can choose to focus somewhere else, so it doesn’t have the chance to control you. Every time I try to control any kind of temptation I end up falling to the temptation. But if I become tempted for something but remember to focus my thoughts on serving someone else, then the temptation looses its grip and goes away. Every time I fall it’s because I tried to control the temptation or I just simply gave in, because I focused on the temptation rather than serving someone else. I know I will fall sometimes, for I am a sinner through and through, but by the grace and mercy of God I am forgiven, and I can serve others to avoid temptation, serving others rather than myself is always a bigger pleasure anyway!

Then Jesus was led out into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to be tempted there by the Devil. For forty days and forty nights he ate nothing and became very hungry. Then the Devil came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, change these stones into loaves of bread."
But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say,

`People need more than bread for their life;
they must feed on every word of God.' "
Then the Devil took him to Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, "If you are the Son of God, jump off! For the Scriptures say,

`He orders his angels to protect you.
And they will hold you with their hands
to keep you from striking your foot on a stone.' "
Jesus responded, "The Scriptures also say, `Do not test the Lord your God.' "
Next the Devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him the nations of the world and all their glory. "I will give it all to you," he said, "if you will only kneel down and worship me."
"Get out of here, Satan," Jesus told him. "For the Scriptures say,

`You must worship the Lord your God;
serve only him.' "
Then the Devil went away, and angels came and cared for Jesus. [Mathew 4:1-11]
Can you believe that? Even Jesus was tempted! And low and behold the bottom line when it came to overcoming Satan’s temptation… “People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God” and “You must worship the Lord your God; serve only him”.