My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://travis.reachpolska.info
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 18, 2004

the leader "image"

Something hit me today, something I have unconsciously avoided. Usually I am open to criticism, and 99.9% of the time, I will have no problem with it. Tonight was different. Tonight I was told "You need to be more energetic and excited when you're giving announcements", I said, "Yes, I know, I just couldn't remember what the announcements were" and "I hate announcements, it's never been 'my thing'". It has never been "my thing" because I am afraid of failing to be the "image", and that image includes someone with "energy and excitement". I have always wanted to be the leader (see goal 6) who can spontaneously get and energize the group, who people just naturally want to follow. The words, "you need to be more…" shot straight through my heart, and nearly put me in tears. As I said earlier, I usually do not have any problems with criticism, I do not get defensive, and I usually completely agree. In this case, I agreed, but that is because I have never felt like I could be "that person".

I guess hearing those words just confirmed to me (if true or not) that I can not be that guy, and after thinking about it for a while, I think I am okay with this (I'll need a few more days of processing), its never been a strong point for me, so why try and hold onto it? I should just stop focusing on improving in an area I am obviously not gifted in, and focus on improving the areas I am passionate and gifted in. Now I just need to make this clear to Carol and Denise, I believe they will understand, and I really think Chris is more of the person to do these kinds of things anyway. Apparently my heart has been ransomed in this area. I believe with all my hear that leadership is more than just being upfront and "energetic", its about knowing when and where you can be effective and making the most of it, this is just one small step in making that idea true.

But as the believers rapidly multiplied, there were rumblings of discontent. Those who spoke Greek complained against those who spoke Hebrew, saying that their widows were being discriminated against in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve called a meeting of all the believers. "We apostles should spend our time preaching and teaching the word of God, not administering a food program," they said. [Acts 6:1-2]
Even the apostles knew that they had to do what they were gifted in, not in extra tasks outside of their calling. By recognizing this, they were able to be more effective – because of this "God's message was preached in ever-widening circles. The number of believers greatly increased in Jerusalem, and many of the Jewish priests were converted, too." [Acts 6:7] From "The Next Generation Leader".