My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://travis.reachpolska.info
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 12, 2004

enemy-occupied territory - that is what this world is.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10 NIV) Have you ever wondered why Jesus married those to statements? Did you even know he spoke them at the same time? I mean, he says them in one breath. And he has his reasons. By all means, God intends life for you. But right now that life is opposed. It doesn't just roll in on a try. There is a thief. He comes to steal and kill and destroy. In other words, yes, the offer is life, but you're going to have to fight for it because there's an Enemy in your life with a different agenda.
There is something set against us.
We are at war.
How I've missed this for so long is a mystery to me. Maybe I've overlooked it; maybe I've chosen not to see. We are at war. I don't like that fact any more than you do, but the sooner we come to terms with it, the better hope we have of making it through to the life we do want. This is not Eden. You probably figured that out. This is not Mayberry; this is not Seinfeld's world; this is not Survivor. The world in which we live is a combat zone, a violent clash of kingdoms, a bitter struggle unto the death. I'm sorry if I'm the one to break this news to you: you were born into a world at war, and you will live all your days in the midst of a great battle, involving all the forces of heaven and hell and played out here on Earth. [John Eldredge: Waking the Dead]
This is just a small excerpt from John Eldredge's latest book, Waking the Dead – The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive. I believe we are meant to live for so much more than this world has to offer. I believe we were created for so much more than we can ever imagine. And I believe we are all glorious creations who have unimaginable beauty and love within us. Even Satan was created with glory and beauty, but as with all other creation, God gave Satan free will, the power to choose.
Consider the tale told in the book of Daniel, chapter 10.
In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia, a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war. The understanding of the message came to him in a vision. At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over. (Dan. 10:1-3 NIV)
Something has happened that Daniel doesn't understand. I think we can all relate to that. We don't understand about 90 percent of what happens to us, either. Daniel is troubled. He sets out to get an answer. But three weeks of prayer and fasting produce no results. What is he to conclude? If Daniel were like most people, by this point he'd probably be headed toward one of two conclusions: I'm blowing it, or God is holding out on me. He might try confessing every sin and petty offense in hopes of opening up the lines of communication with God. Or he might withdraw into a sort of disappointed resignation, drop the fast, and turn on the television. In an effort to hang onto his faith, he might embrace the difficulty as par of "God's will for his life." He might read a book on "the silence of god." That's the way people I know handle this sort of thing.
And he would be dead wrong.
On the twenty-first day of the fast an angel shows up, out of breath. In a sort of apology, the angel explains to Daniel that God had actually dispatched him in answer to Daniel's prayer the very first day he prayed—three weeks ago. (There goes the whole unanswered prayer thesis, right out the window.) Three week ago? What is Daniel to do with that? "The very first day? But… I've … I mean, thank you so very much, and I don't want to seem ungrateful, but… where have you been?" You haven't blown it, Daniel, and god isn't holding out on you. The angel goes on to explain that he was locked in hand-to-hand combat with a mighty fallen angel, a demonic power of dreadful strength, who kept him out of the Persian kingdom for three weeks, and he finally had to get Michael (the great archangel, the captain of the Lord's hosts) to come and help him break through the enemy lines. "Now I am here, in answer to your prayer. Sorry it's taken so long." [Waking the Dead]
I believe with all my heart, which is the dwelling place of God's glorious spirit, this is the very thing happening here in Poland, Seattle, and around the world.